DOB: January 9, 1978
Occupation: Security Director, City of Seattle
CrossFitting Since: February 8, 2011
First Memorable CrossFit Experience: My first day, back in 2011, when Crossfit had not fully reached the mainstream. I joined based on the recommendation of a friend, not really knowing what I was getting into. Prior, I had been a member at every globo gym imaginable and was used to that format. When I arrived at CFBT (the old location) I took stock of my surroundings. The welcome desk looked like it was fashioned after a WWII nazi-killin’ bunker, and the decorations included Eric’s hand-skin motif that really made the place feel homey in a “Silence of the Lambs” kind of way. Nearby sat an antiquated wheelbarrow stacked with hundreds of pounds of dumbbells used for workouts. Other than some barbells and bumper plates, that was about it. After surveying the equipment, I was suspicious that this wasn’t going to be the predictable 20-minute elliptical ride followed by 155 minutes of curls and bench press that I was used to at the local Fitness Emporium. Turns out I was right. The scaled 5-minute, green-band-assisted version of “Cindy” that we did nearly killed my ass. I loved it. I may have even bragged to a few friends about this hard-core workout I crushed at Crossfit. I think I also met Nadia for the first time that day. I was trying to stretch a hamstring and had my foot propped up against the wall. I happened to look over and saw Nadia standing across the gym. Her gaze met mine and suddenly she gave me a look that made my soul turn black. I quickly turned away in fear, and that is when I noticed the sign. The one that explicitly stated to keep your feet off the wall. I learned a valuable lesson that day. One that I will now share with new members: CFBT takes a lot of pride in their gym. Do not f**k with the aesthetic. Seriously. Nadia will cut you. To that end, many agree that CFBT is the most beautiful gym they’ve ever seen, and it has been a pleasure watching Nadia and Eric’s vision be realized over the last several years. But I must say, even if the classes were held by the dumpster out back, I would still show up. The programming is incredibly smart, and the coaching is informative and motivating.
Favorite WOD: I have a bizarre, sadistic affinity for “Grindy”.
Favorite Lift: Tie: Back Squat / Deadlift, I believe they will have the best functional-movement ROI over the course of a lifetime.
Least Favorite WOD: If given the option to do 150 wall balls for time, I.E. “Karen,” or give birth to a porcupine that is on fire, I will take the latter, less painful option.
Favorite CrossFit Movement: I’m a reasonably competent pull-upper. So, that.
Why You Do CrossFit: I like the “fitness on demand” aspect of this training… Wanna run a 5K? No problemo. Grandma needs help moving a couch? Got it. Zombies attacking? I’ll be the one pulling myself up onto the shed while everyone below gets eaten.
Favorite Cheat Meal: I’m like a culinary polygamist; I love it all. It’s difficult to imagine cheating on food with other food, so let’s just say red wine & Honduran cigars and move forward…
CrossFit Secret: My favorite workout secret is actually from Coach Joe. A few months ago we had a WOD comprised of several movements that included large sets of burpees. Joe, always helpful, explained that we should consider the burpees “a rest period” before moving on to the other exercises… “a rest period,” he says. It’s an interesting concept. But in my experience I usually get about 6½ burpees in and start planning reasonable sounding injuries I can fake to get out of the workout… Hmmm, I wonder if I can “accidentally” impale myself on that barbell over there… things like that. So, next time you see Joe cycling through 35 burpees a minute just know that he is “resting”. See how that makes you feel about your fitness.
What Do You Do On Rest Days: Typically I am too sore to do non-Crossfit-related activities in my free-time. Thanks, Crossfit.
What Can’t You Live Without: I spend 90% of my day complaining about oblivious people in my way or walking too slow because they are mesmerized by their cell phones. The other 10% of my day is spent hyperventilating because I’m terrified I accidentally left my phone at home or back in the office.
Favorite Vacation Spot: My family owns a beachfront on the Chesapeake Bay in a sleepy Virginia town that is a pretty idyllic getaway. It’s like something out of a Nicholas Sparks book. From what I’ve been told, by other people (not me), who read Nicholas Sparks books.